You must be a currently enrolled fourth-year student in an United States LCME accredited Medical School.
It is the policy of the Ochsner Health System's Academic Division not to accept international medical students for visiting elective clinical course work. Ochsner Health System has special affiliation agreements with a small number of international medical schools—if your school has such an agreement with Ochsner, special rules, other than those shown here, may apply—contact the Academic office at MedicalEducation@ochsner.org if your school has a special affiliation agreement with our institution.
Step 1 - Choose your elective from the menu on the right
Step 2 - Apply
- - View information for students at an LCME- or AOA-accredited medical school.
- - View information for students at an affiliated medical school that Does Not participate in VSAS.
Step 3 - Provide Required Documentation
Accepted students will be required to provide a completed Attestation Form signed by a school representative, attesting to the student's compliance with Ochsner's requirements. This must be submitted 2 to 4 weeks prior to the beginning of the desired rotation. The requirements are as follows:
- OIG/GSA Verification
- Personal health insurance documentation
- Immunization titers (MMR, Varicella)
- Proof of completed hepatitis B vaccine series
- Proof of annual TB skin test
- Proof of seasonal flu vaccine (for students rotating between December-April)
- Clear criminal and sexual offender background check
- Clean urine drug screen performed by a SAMHSA-approved laboratory
- Valid American Heart Association-issued Basic Life Support card
*Additionally, all students must submit proof of malpractice coverage from medical school, with limits of liability of $1,000,000/$3,000,000.
All information requests must come through the UGME Office of Student Services.
Students are NOT to directly contact Ochsner Health System faculty and administrative staff in an attempt to arrange clinical/research experiences. The UGME Office of Student Services is responsible for scheduling ALL elective requests. All students must follow the established guidelines and procedures without exception.
Send student inquiries and status requests to:
Ochsner Clinic Foundation
Undergraduate Medical Education
1514 Jefferson Highway
Academic Center, First Floor
New Orleans, LA 70121
Visiting students are responsible for locating and securing their own transportation, housing, and meals during the elective rotation(s).
We recommend that final housing and travel arrangements are deferred until enrollment has been confirmed in the event that we are unable to accommodate a specific course request.