During the course of the academic year, fellows participate in a series of lectures and conferences at Ochsner Medical Center. These provide the Endocrinology fellow with the opportunity to:
- prepare and present cases for discussion
- review the relevant medical literature for self-learning and presentation to faculty
- attend lectures provided by local and national experts on topics ranging in basic and clinical endocrinology
The following is a description of the conferences routinely attended by all endocrinology fellows.
Clinical Case Discussion Conference
Fellows prepare one case weekly for discussion; cases are usually developed from recent inpatient and outpatient endocrine consultations performed. Typically, patients are presented whose problems pose interesting or difficult diagnostic or therapeutic decision making. During the discussion, the presenting fellows also briefly present the key literature relevant to the case.
OMC Endocrine Grand Rounds
Local, national endocrinologists and international are invited to present lectures on recent research findings relevant to adult general and pediatric endocrinology. This conference is held monthly. Fellows also present at these conferences.
Endocrine Journal Club
Fellows and faculty present critical reviews of recent journal articles. Typically, two articles are discussed at each journal club session.
Endocrine Research Conference
This monthly conference provides the opportunity to endocrine fellows and faculty to present their ongoing research.
Multi-disciplinary Endocrine Tumor Conference
The Endocrine surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, and endocrinologists hold monthly conferences to discuss challenging patient issues.
Core Endocrine Didactic Lectures
Fellows and staff share the educational responsibilities. These one hour lectures on essential topics in endocrinology, including endocrine emergencies, and additional topics are done in PowerPoint and then submitted and archived so fellows can then review topics at later dates.
- Endocrine Society/AACE – Fellows attend each year in the program
- Endocrine University – Fellows attend each year in the program
- American Diabetes Association and American Thyroid Association – Fellows can attend if presenting a poster/abstract