Stipend & Benefits
The Ochsner House Staff Stipend and Benefit Program is generously competitive with comparable institutions in major cities throughout the United States. Please note that the benefit outlines presented describe some of the important features of the policies. They are, however, not the insurance contract and are subject to change.
*The stipend information listed above does not apply to the Tulane/Ochsner Pediatrics and LSU/Ochsner Ophthalmology and Psychiatry programs. Stipend information for these programs may be found on the respective Tulane and LSU program web sites.
The Ochsner Health System provides house staff with a comprehensive benefits plan that includes health, dental, disability, and life insurance, as well as the opportunity to participate in a 403(b) tax-deferred annuity program. The health, dental, disability, and life insurance programs are offered at minimal cost to the resident.
- Salary Continuation
- 403(b) Plan
- Pathway to Wellness (PTW)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employer Paid Term Life
- 66.273% Long Term Disability
- $100,000 Business Travel Accident
- EAP (Employee Assistance Plan)
- Vacation Time
- Tobacco Free Discount
Vacation days allowed per academic year. Use it or lose it applies per year. Several services have additional restrictions on when and how vacation may be taken while on rotation through that individual discipline, which are at the discretion of the program director.
Professional Liability Insurance/General Liability Insurance
Ochsner will provide, maintain, and pay costs of the following;
- Professional liability insurance of self-insurance with limits of not less than $1 million per occurrence and $3 million annual aggregate.
- General liability of self-insurance with limits of not less than $1 million dollars annual aggregate covering all assigned residents.
Other Professional Perks
Free, safe, secure on-campus parking provided for all housestaff.
Travel Fund Support
Meeting and travel expenses for paper/poster presentations by Ochsner sponsored residents are supported through GME operational budget.
- Presenting resident’s meeting and travel expenses are supported for a 3-day, 2-night maximum
- All travel is subject to the policies and procedures outlined in OHS–Travel Expense Reimbursement policy
Employee Discounts and Special Offers
Sprint, Verizon and AT&T cell phone discounts. Debitek restaurant & cafeteria discounts. Smoking cessation benefit (available if enrolled in medical plan). Kentwood Water. Dell Computer. Sam’s Club ($10 off yearly membership).
Elmwood Fitness Center Discount
$0 initiation fee, $31 per month membership rate (resident only)